Довиждане Америка, Здравей България!!

Goodbye America, Hello Bulgaria: Documenting my Peace Corps Experience

Friday, October 07, 2005

A Review – In Pictures

Permanent Sight Announcement Day:


Volunteers anxiously wait for their names to be called - will they be on the Black Sea? Will they be in the middle of nowhere? - Only time will tell.


At last I know! I will be spending my 2 years of service in the city of Kazanluk (Каэанлък). For more on my new home see the following sites -

http://www.bulgariatravel.org/etis/bycity.php?cityID=181®ionID=8
http://www.rose-festival.com/

Sight Visit:


An overview of the recently refinished city center. These are the nicest streets I have seen in all of Bulgaria.


In Bulgaria when there is a new school year the students bring their teacher flowers and everyone attends the opening ceremony. Here teens perform for the opening of a school in Kazanluk. This was followed by a very patriotic raising of the Bulgarian flag.


An Orthodox church located in Kazanluk.


A statue outside of the church.


Traditional Bulgarian shoes.


A church built in Kazanluk in honor of the Russians for freeing them from Turkish rule.


A lion located out side of Shipka monument. I will post a picture of that later when I can get one on a less foggy day.

Roma Cultural Day in Pazardjik:


A fellow volunteer with some of the local children who participated.


Me with some of the other volunteers trying to learn a Roma dance.

The Big Guy (aka - Carl) Visits:


Team Trud with the Peace Corps Bulgaria Director.

Рожден ден ми!!


The B-Day cake that my host-family got for me.

My Ьаьа Working Hard


I don't think I have ever seen anyone work as hard as this woman. I am not quite sure how old she is but she is up there in years but as you can see here that does not stop her. In the above picture she is cutting down a tree. Later that same week I saw here move wheelbarrows full of dirt until the entire garden was covered with new soil.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home